At the recent Android Developer Conference III in Burlingame, California, Tapjoy’s vice president of developer partnerships, Chris Akhavan, presented a keynote entitled “Building Successful Free-to-Play Apps on Android,” in which he shared best practices for the three major drivers of application growth: Acquisition, Retention and Monetization.
Android, of course, is a platform that Tapjoy has quite a bit of experience with, having seen our Daily Active User base grow to about 40 million at last count. And of course, our alt pay platform is helping fuel the surge in Free-to-Play apps, which on May 24th’s Android charts, accounted for 96% of the Top 25 highest grossing Android apps. If you do the math, that means that just one out of those 25 apps is a paid app. Free-to-Play is clearly the way to go, whether for games or any other type of application.
Embedded below you’ll find the slides Chris used during his presentation, but if you prefer, here’s a quick summary of recommended best practices:
- Choose the right channels for acquisition
- Hold the user’s hand through the first experiences of the app
- Keep it clear and simple
- Use social channels and incentivize sharing
- Offer daily rewards
- Keep users engaged by implementing quests and achievements
- Make the most of your monetization by adding alt pay
- Highlight special offers and items to drive actions
- Frequently test and measure new features within a segment of your users, and roll out successful changes to the full audience
We’d like to thank Alan Zeichick, Ted Bahr, Stacy Burris and all of the other great folks who helped put the show together as well as all of the smart and talented Android developers we met there. We’re looking forward to seeing you all again at AnDevCon IV in December!